ASKETT BARNS

 

In the seventeenth century a large cruck framed barn was built for the cattle on the northern side of the village. It was last used for cows in 1940, and then pigs were kept in it.

In 1978 it was converted into two homes - The Old Barn and Askett Barn - and listed grade II as of architectural interest because it is a traditional Buckinghamshire barn built with an ash frame.

Footnote: Jack Kibble(Builder and Ironmonger) used to keep his sports car in the barn. Dr Sandy Macfarlane kept his daughter's ponies there.

The Barn was converted into two homes by Geoff Emmett in the mid 1970s. He and his wife lived in one half and the Bentleys the other. Ann and Gerry moved in in the larger half in 1977.

 

Click HERE to return to the map page.