CHILTERN COTTAGE

For over a hundred years, this cottage was used by workers on the land behind, but in the middle of the nineteenth century it is recorded that John Whitwell baked bread for the village at this house, and from then on it became known as the Bakery.

John Eggelton, who owned the Askett House lands, also owned Chiltern Cottage bakery, and in his will of 1844, he left it, and the bakehouse at Monks Risborough, to his son Joseph, together with the woodhouse, pigsties and garden and cottage occupied by William Redrup. (The Redrup family have lived in the area since the eighteenth century and the oldest person ever registered is Francis, who died in 1784 aged 92).

In 1864 Joseph Eggelton took it over and his son carried on the bread making. When he died in 1903 his wife Annie continued for seven years. Relatives, another Mr and Mrs Eggelton, took over the bakery but Mr Eggelton unfortunately died in the diphtheria epidemic which swept through the village during the First World War. Mrs Eggelton carried on the business until 1920. (Another branch of the family owned the Burton Lane Bakery, in Monks Risborough, where the village celebration joints were cooked).

Mr and Mrs Stiff, a carpenter from London, came with his large family of children, Sarah, Eliza, Lily, Ivy, WaIter, George, Ernest and Joe. Although Mr Stiff had only one eye he was a skilled wheelwright, and worked for Mr Ayres, who also owned the cottage.

In the 1940's a Miss Rae and Mrs Barrow lived at the 'Bakery' as it was still known, but Mr Ayres sold it for £200, and pigs were kept in the garden. New owners have improved the property and named it Chiltern Cottage.

Footnote: The extension to Chiltern Cottage was added by John and Jenny Braithwaite in 1973. Prior to them, Jocelyn and Patrick Phillips lived there.

 

Click HERE to return to the map page