CROWBROOK COTTAGE

 

In 1720 "the dwelling house of John Herbert, situated in Ascutt in the Parish of Monks Risborough, was registered as a Meeting House in accordance with the Act" ... that tolerated those who did not subscribe to the established Church, but required to notify the authorities of their evangelical zeal "in case they be agitators".

It is only conjecture, due to situation, that it can be suggested that this cottage was the Meeting House.

In the early eighteenth century it had been built surrounded by trees. There were no houses in front, and only at the end of the century were cottages build behind it. It can only be suggested that subsequent inhabitants were aware of the history of this cottage as it was altered sometime in the next century to accommodate three families, who had strong evangelical leanings.

Will Baker lived there with his wife and granddaughter, Flora. By day he was a farm labourer, but every evening and on Sundays, he became Deacon Baker, caretaker of the chapel building and of the chapel congregation. Next door lived Peter Painter, a labourer, and later Charlie Goodchild bought the cottage and let half of it to George Stevens, the gardener.

The cottages were inhabited during the 1939-45 war by various families all with association with the Baptist Chapel. The cottages were rejoined after the war.

 

Click HERE to return to the map.