ICKNIELD HOUSE, TARLINGS, HARVEST MOON, MULBERRY HOUSE, APPLE TREES

 

The land between the Hook Cottage and the Turnpike Road were allotments in the early twentieth century, under the jurisdiction of Albert Ayres, in his role as Church Commissioner. When they were sold, Albert gave them to his daughter, who was married to Archie Smith and lived at Bridge Farm and had the milk round. They sold the land and a bungalow was built on part, lived in by Sydney Smith (from Risborough) and his wife Louisa, in 1920. Her aunt lived in Orchard Close and during the 1939-45 war Sydney and Louisa went to live with her and let the bungalow to the Seaton family.

In one of the Old Manor Cottages at this time lived Alf Munday and his wife Sally, who was Louisa's sister. The cottage was very damp and after putting up with it for 18 months they bought a 'Nissen' hut and had it erected next to the bungalow.

It was at this time that Professor Humberstone lived at the back of these buildings in his 'hut', at the weekends and in his holidays. Mr Bushby from Hillview helped him in the garden to grow fresh vegetables and fruit, while Mrs Bushby cooked meals for him, and sent her daughter to the hut when food was ready. The professor, from London University brought 'some of his students to the village for a holiday and, as some of them were members of a Rifle Club, they used the Ragpit Range, but used a brightly coloured railway carriage to sleep in (still in position, but hidden at Cadsden). He also had a 'Gypsy' caravan in which he travelled around and dog.

The land was inherited by the nephew of the family, and the 'HUT' was pulled down and Crossroads was built - now called Apple Trees.

Footnote: Archie Smith, the milkman, lived in Icknield House. Archie Smith also owned the orchard in which Mulberry House now stands. He did a deal with Jack Kibble whereby Kibble got the orchard and Smith got a new bungalow built - Icknield Cottage - in the early 1960s. (Archie Smith's widow and her companion lived in Icknield Cottage.) Kibble then got permission to build Tarlings, as infilling, but kept a right of way to the orchard behind, on which he applied for planning permission for a small estate, which was refused. At about this time Mr and Mrs Kibble separated and as part of the settlement Mrs Kibble obtained the orchard. There had been, just behind Tarlings, a wooden chalet bungalow that had become disused. It was demolished and in its place Mrs Kibble obtained permission for Mulberry House on a slightly different site.

 

Click HERE to return to the map.