OLD MANOR COTTAGES

"Report on the Monuments of Buckinghamshire" 1912

.now three cottages, about 1mile North of the church, is of two storeys, built of brick and timber c.1600, now considerably altered and patched with modern brick. The roofs are tiled. The present plan is roughly T-shaped, with the middle wing extending towards the West, but the original plan is uncertain. Interior:-

The first floor is supported on plain moulded beams; the roofs are of collar-beam construction with plaster ceilings on the collar-beams which have small curved braces at the feet of the rafters. In the North wing are two fireplaces, each with a moulded four-centred head and a stone frieze carved with an arabesque pattern.

Condition - Poor, but structurally fairly sound.

At the beginning of the century, Frank Reading owned the land and lived in the cottage nearest to the Crowbrook Road.

The cottage behind him had been lived in early in the century by widowed Mrs Eli Crockett and her granddaughter Ann, whose father had died when she was ten, and her mother re-married to George Quarrendon, a chair turner.

While Ann lived there she often was given a basket of food for someone who had smallpox, but it is not remembered who this person was.

After old Mrs Crockett died, Ann left to join her sister Julia.

During the '39 - 45' war Molly Lavington lived here.

The end cottage was then lived in by Mr and Mrs Cambrey, an ex-miner, and their three daughters Joyce, Vera and Molly, who was in the A.T.S. in the war, and then returned to work at Askett House Farm. After they left, Charlie Goodchild lived there for a while with Mr Stevens the gardener.

In the back cottage lived Will Batty who was a hurdle maker, ladder maker and sheep shearer. In the twenties Mr and Mrs John Green, a plate-layer on the railway, came to live in the cottage with their son and daughter.

The district nurse, Miss Campbell, used to garage her little Austin 7 car in the sheds at the side of the path to the cottages, which was also used as a store for the beer barrels from the White Cross. In 1959 Frank Reading sold the cottages and the land.

By 1969 The Old Manor Cottages were crumbling, as the developers waited for their plans to be accepted. It was at this time that a renowned archaeologist investigated the site and uncovered its original foundations and small relics that had survived over the centuries.

By 1982 five new houses had been built.

Footnote: The Peals and the Roberts were the first people to move into Old Manor Close , in 1983.

 

Click HERE to return to the map.