WHITE CROSS COTTAGE

 

This building was erected on the Manor House land in the Home Close at the end of the nineteenth century; and when Mrs Ann Reading married John Stevens, her second husband, he took charge of her affairs, as was usual in those times.

He sold the White Cross in 1890 to Wethered for £10, and after his wife died his son consolidated his finances by selling the Bell House land also.

From 1887 Henry Orchard, who had a 'peg-leg', delivered beer from the brewery to the village and in 1907 his nephew, Jack, became the licencee of the White Cross Public House.

By 1911 it was run by Sydney James and by 1915 by Harvey Spittels, then Mr Crutchfield.

In the late twenties, Percy Green held the licence and his wife opened a shop on the side, first of all in the wooden shed, and the later moved it inside in the house on the south side.

This was a very useful shop for many people rushed in late in the evening to buy sausages and pies for their supper.

This service was continued by Margaret Green, their daughter, who ran the pub with her husband, Douglas, until 1975 when it ceased to be a public house.

In 1976 it was converted into a private home.

Footnote : Mrs Green (confirmed by her daughter Margaret) said that she and her husband, Percy, came to the White Cross in 1935. Percy Green ran a coal business from Salway's barns, rented from Mr. Ayres of Askett Villa, in addition to being the landlord of the White Cross. Mr Ayres also owned the land Salway was built on. The White Cross ceased to be a pub in 1961 (not 1975).

After this it was a combination of the shop and an off-licence. Mrs. Green's son Terry and his wife, Maureen, ran this combination for some years, as did her daughter Margaret and Margaret's husband, Douglas. Mark and Sue Dunningham came to live in the White Cross in 1976.

Click HERE to return to the map.